advertisement

Multimedia

Missouri task force leader unloads equipment [Photo]

Doug Westhoff, Missouri Task Force One leader, unloads equipment after returning from Louisiana in 2008. Westhoff is one of 80 members from the Missouri Task Force One, a division of the Boone County Fire Protection District that went to help with Hurricane Ike destruction.

Technical search, rescue specialists return from deployment [Photo]

Technical search specialist John Sweet, back center, and rescue specialist John Rieth, right, both of Missouri Task Force One, unload a bus in September 2006 after returning from recent deployment. Task Force One participated in relief efforts for Sept. 11, 2001, and during Hurricane Katrina.

Boone County Circuit Clerk among state's most overworked [Graphic]

A state survey has found a significant disparity between the number of employees the Boone County Circuit Clerk has and the number needed to handle the court’s workload.

Task force checks houses after Katrina [Photo]

Members of the FEMA Urban Search and Rescue Missouri Task Force check houses impacted by Hurricane Katrina on Aug. 31, 2005, in New Orleans. The members are taking off vents and cutting holes in the roof to search for people stuck in their attics.

Behind the scenes, clerks make court tick [Graphic]

Each of the hundreds of court appearances that take place in the Boone County Courthouse is made possible by the efforts of the circuit clerk and staff, who take care of most administrative tasks. A quick look at the work that goes into one consumer debt case illustrates their central role. Each step often involves numerous phone calls and minor steps too convoluted to picture here.

Columbians work on rebar in Honduras [Photo]

From left, Dennis Murphy, two children from El Pital, Ellen Thomas and Emily Thomas work on a rebar frome to cover the foundation of one of the service group's latrine projects in Honduras.

El Pital workers focus on latrine project [Photo]

Construction foreman Cito Bertin, left, and another worker, both of El Pital, work on a latrine project at an El Pital house during the Columbia Unitarian Universalist Church's service trip to Honduras.

Electrical short causes fire in mobile home [Photo]

A fire that began with an electrical short in a clothes dryer destroyed a Columbia mobile home Wednesday. The owner of the home, Marie Crews, was able to escape safely — along with her daughter, son-in-law and dog, Piper — after being awakened by a smoke alarm.

Lightning struck home in June [Photo]

Damage caused by a fire that began with an electrical short in a clothes dryer can been seen from the outside of a Columbia mobile home Wednesday. The owner's daughter, Marsha Harrison, says that the dryer was damaged in June when lightning struck the home.

Taking photos of the damage [Photo]

Marsha Harrison takes photographs Wednesday of the damage caused to her mother's mobile home in Columbia after an electrical short in the clothes dryer caused a fire. No one was hurt in the blaze.

Car drives through kitchen, living room off Nifong [Photo]

The property manager and staff assess the damage done to a house on West Oak Drive by Nifong Boulevard on Wednesday morning. The car ran off Nifong, passing through a field, a partition of trees and the Dennison's backyard before ending up in the family's kitchen and living room. No one was home at the time of the incident.

Car crashes through home on West Oak Drive [Photo]

Chuck Dennison, right, speaks with his property manager as he stands in what remains of his kitchen. A car ran off Nifong on Wednesday morning, passing through a field, a partition of trees and the Dennison's backyard before ending up in the family's kitchen and living room on West Oak Drive. No one was home at the time of the incident.

Electrical fire destroys home [Photo]

Damage caused by a fire that began with an electrical short in a clothes dryer can been seen from the outside of a Columbia mobile home on Wednesday. The owner's daughter, Marsha Harrison, said the dryer sustained damage last month after lightning struck the home.

Mobile home in Columbia destroyed by fire [Photo]

A fire that began with an electrical short in a clothes dryer destroyed a Columbia mobile home Wednesday. The owner of the home, Marie Crews, was able to escape safely after being woken by a smoke alarm, as were her daughter, son-in-law and dog, Piper.

Mobile home catches fire after electrical shortage [Photo]

Marsha Harrison takes photographs of the damage caused to her mother's Columbia mobile home after an electrical fire that originated in the clothes dryer on Wednesday. No one was hurt in the blaze.

Boone County Fire District release on FEMA audit [Document]

Click here to download a PDF of the news release from the Boone County Fire Protection District.

Homeland Security audit memo [Document]

Click here to download a PDF of the memorandum from Homeland Security to the Boone County Fire District.

Classroom attachment [Document]

This article, titled "Attachment in the Classroom" and published in Educational Psychology Review, found evidence that enhancing teacher-student relationships is necessary to raising student achievement.

White-nose syndrome threatens bats [Photo]

Missouri is home to nine different species of bats, including the Indiana Bat (Myotis sodalis), which is a endangered species.

Missouri bats could be threatened by disease [Photo]

Missouri is home to nine different species of bats, including the gray bat, which is an endangered species.
advertisements