February 8, 2009
Danielle Day, an MU freshman, returns the ball to a teammate during practice on January 27. She started playing tennis at the age of eight and is originally from Tampa, Fla. Day is majoring in broadcast journalism. Day said she enjoys playing tennis here and her teammates are a part of that reason. "I just really want to do well for the team and myself," she said.
The St. Louis Hawks and Yanders Law basketball teams squared off Sunday for the Missouri Show-Me State Games championship. The league has 13 divisions and 85 teams grouped by age, competitiveness and gender.
Horse therapy trainer Jessica Fry shares a laugh with one of the Coyote Hill residents during a discussion about how difficult it is to bridle a horse.
Horse therapy trainer Jessica Fry gives a young Coyote Hill resident some helpful advice before a training session begins.
Three goats warm themselves in front of the red barn on the Coyote Hill property. "The goats don't do anything. We just got them because the kids like them," said executive director and founder Larry McDaniel.
Livestock exhibitors welcomed warm weather during the 16th annual AGR Classic Steer and Heifer Show this weekend. More than 350 youth ages 21 and under exhibited 510 head of cattle at the two-day event held at Midway Exposition Center. Alpha Gamma Rho Fraternity sponsored the show, which dates back to 1993. Exhibitors represented eleven states including: Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Ohio, Virginia, and Wisconsin.
One of the residents of Coyote Hill tries some soft words and a gentle pat on Roy the horse's head in an effort stop his stubbornness and get him to go for a walk during a session of horse therapy. Coyote Hill is a foster home set on a 155-acre farm near Harrisburg.
Wilkes Boulevard United Methodist Church, 702 Wilkes Blvd.: Constructed in 1917, the church was built for workers of the Hamilton-Brown Shoe Co. The church originally featured a red tile roof, which has since been replaced. Additions were made in 1944 and 1961, with the main entrance being designed by local architect John Hurst. The church is owned by Wilkes Boulevard UMC Inc.
Firefighter Rich Harris helps Elisha Bender, 6, down from a fire truck after an exploratory walk-through at the grand opening of Columbia Fire Station No. 7 on Sunday.
A Chihuahua named J.J. listens to speeches with owners Nancy Hadfield and Rich Hadfield, right, at the opening of Columbia's Fire Station No. 7 on Sunday. Rich Hadfield joked that he thought about adding black and white spots to J.J. before they arrived at the celebration.
St. Clair Hall at Columbia College, 1001 Rogers St.: The Elizabethan-style building was constructed in 1900 and features symmetrical towers as well as multiple gables and dormers. It was named in memory of Luella St. Clair’s husband, Frank, during her term as president of the college. The building originally housed administrative offices and classrooms and served as a student dormitory.
Mayor Darwin Hindman makes opening remarks to the crowd at the grand opening of Columbia's Fire Station No. 7 on Sunday.
Quarry Heights neighborhood and quarry: Adjacent to the MKT Trail, the Quarry Heights quarry serves as a private recreation spot for residents of the Quarry Heights neighborhood. The former limestone quarry features an artificial lake for swimming. The neighborhood was formed in 1951.
Private home, 700 Mount Vernon Ave.: This colonial two-story farmhouse was built by Robert and Lura Tandy in 1911. There have been 16 owners with the longest being Josie Johnson from 1958 to 1977. Current owners Stacey and Rebecca Woelfel have found numerous objects left by previous owners, most notably a diamond ring.
Old Flat Branch wastewater treatment plant, now Audubon Society of Columbia's Trailside Nature Center, 800 S. Stadium Blvd.: Built by the Works Progress Administration in 1939, the Flat Branch wastewater treatment plant served Columbia residents until its sewage was diverted to the new regional facility in 1983. Today, the small two-story brick building south of Stadium Boulevard near the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial at Battle Garden houses the Columbia Audubon Society's Trailside Nature Center and public restrooms.
Missouri Press Association building, 802/804 Locust St.: Built in the late 1920s, the building has served as the headquarters for the Missouri Press Association since 1969. Notable members of the association include Walter Williams, who founded the Missouri School of Journalism in 1908 and served as president of the university from 1931 to 1935. The building features many architectural qualities of the Missouri Theatre Center for the Arts, which was constructed about the same time.
Ben “Funky” Askren, former MU wrestler and United States Olympian, made his Mixed Martial Arts debut Saturday Night at the Holiday Inn Expo Center. Askren knocked out his opponent, Josh Flowers, 1 minute and 25 seconds into the first round. Watch Askren in his professional debut.
State Highway Maintenance Building, 900 N. Old 63: The Missouri State Highway Department built the structure in 1928 to serve as a maintenance building. It is made of brick and is an example of 1920s industrial architecture. The building is owned by Elizabeth Goldenhirsch.