February 8, 2009
Horse therapy trainer Jessica Fry gives a young Coyote Hill resident some helpful advice before a training session begins.
Three goats warm themselves in front of the red barn on the Coyote Hill property. "The goats don't do anything. We just got them because the kids like them," said executive director and founder Larry McDaniel.
One of the residents of Coyote Hill tries some soft words and a gentle pat on Roy the horse's head in an effort stop his stubbornness and get him to go for a walk during a session of horse therapy. Coyote Hill is a foster home set on a 155-acre farm near Harrisburg.
Wilkes Boulevard United Methodist Church, 702 Wilkes Blvd.: Constructed in 1917, the church was built for workers of the Hamilton-Brown Shoe Co. The church originally featured a red tile roof, which has since been replaced. Additions were made in 1944 and 1961, with the main entrance being designed by local architect John Hurst. The church is owned by Wilkes Boulevard UMC Inc.
Firefighter Rich Harris helps Elisha Bender, 6, down from a fire truck after an exploratory walk-through at the grand opening of Columbia Fire Station No. 7 on Sunday.
A Chihuahua named J.J. listens to speeches with owners Nancy Hadfield and Rich Hadfield, right, at the opening of Columbia's Fire Station No. 7 on Sunday. Rich Hadfield joked that he thought about adding black and white spots to J.J. before they arrived at the celebration.
St. Clair Hall at Columbia College, 1001 Rogers St.: The Elizabethan-style building was constructed in 1900 and features symmetrical towers as well as multiple gables and dormers. It was named in memory of Luella St. Clair’s husband, Frank, during her term as president of the college. The building originally housed administrative offices and classrooms and served as a student dormitory.
Mayor Darwin Hindman makes opening remarks to the crowd at the grand opening of Columbia's Fire Station No. 7 on Sunday.
Quarry Heights neighborhood and quarry: Adjacent to the MKT Trail, the Quarry Heights quarry serves as a private recreation spot for residents of the Quarry Heights neighborhood. The former limestone quarry features an artificial lake for swimming. The neighborhood was formed in 1951.
Private home, 700 Mount Vernon Ave.: This colonial two-story farmhouse was built by Robert and Lura Tandy in 1911. There have been 16 owners with the longest being Josie Johnson from 1958 to 1977. Current owners Stacey and Rebecca Woelfel have found numerous objects left by previous owners, most notably a diamond ring.
Old Flat Branch wastewater treatment plant, now Audubon Society of Columbia's Trailside Nature Center, 800 S. Stadium Blvd.: Built by the Works Progress Administration in 1939, the Flat Branch wastewater treatment plant served Columbia residents until its sewage was diverted to the new regional facility in 1983. Today, the small two-story brick building south of Stadium Boulevard near the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial at Battle Garden houses the Columbia Audubon Society's Trailside Nature Center and public restrooms.
Missouri Press Association building, 802/804 Locust St.: Built in the late 1920s, the building has served as the headquarters for the Missouri Press Association since 1969. Notable members of the association include Walter Williams, who founded the Missouri School of Journalism in 1908 and served as president of the university from 1931 to 1935. The building features many architectural qualities of the Missouri Theatre Center for the Arts, which was constructed about the same time.
State Highway Maintenance Building, 900 N. Old 63: The Missouri State Highway Department built the structure in 1928 to serve as a maintenance building. It is made of brick and is an example of 1920s industrial architecture. The building is owned by Elizabeth Goldenhirsch.
Dumas Apartments, 413 Hitt St.: Built by L.W. Dumas Sr. and his son, Lewis Dumas Jr., Dumas Apartments was the first privately owned apartment complex built next to MU. One notable occupant was Sarah Allen, who was a war correspondent during World War II. During Prohibition in 1920, police made two arrests and confiscated a 4-gallon still, a 10-gallon jar of mash, a sack of hops, four bottles of beer and a pint of distilled alcohol. The building is owned by Jack and Evelyn Richardson.
Cape Cod-style private home, 1252 Sunset Drive: One of the first homes to be built in the Sunset Hills subdivision, this Cape Cod-style home, circa 1939, is one of a few houses in Columbia of this architectural style. Former MU English professor Albert Trombley built and lived in the house. Much of the interior, including the original plaster walls, hardwood floors and woodwork, has been restored. The house is owned by David and Diane O’Hagan.
Coco Puff, left, a male Yorkie, and Pomeranian Darla, walk out of the front yard of their Victorian-style home in Winchester, Calif.
Kassis holds her three “kids” in front of their Victorian doghouse.
Two of Darla’s outfits hang on the wall just above Chelsea’s bed.
Darla slips into Chelsea’s canopy bed when the Yorkshire Terrier isn’t around.
Ben "Funky" Askren, right, a former MU Wrestler and United States Olympian, won his Mixed Martial Arts debut against Josh Flowers at the Holiday Inn Expo Center on Feb 7.