March 7, 2008
Rock Bridge's Claire Schaeperkoetter, far right, and Amaya Williams, right, fight for a rebound during Rock Bridge's 55-42 victory against St. Joseph's Academy in the 2008 MSHSAA Class 5 semifinals on Friday night at Mizzou Arena.
March 6, 2008
Fire breather Jesse Jones, also known as Jonzy, of the fire performance troupe Sphyre of Prometheus, performs neat Stephens College after the True/False Film Festival parade in downtown Columbia on Feb. 29.
MU Junior Mark Wolf rushes to the net with Illinois State's Jason Nash trailing after him as the sun sets on their lacrosse game on March 1. MU beat the Redbirds 8-6.
Columbia College's Mikel Fields, right, is one of three local players on the Cougars' team. "...We’re all so close to home, so if anybody needs a home-cooked meal or something, we’re there for them,” he said.
Amid the hustle of a cramped kitchen, Jade Chao peels shrimp at Peking Restaurant. Only four of the six chefs at the restaurant speak English. This communication barrier can often lead to more violations for ethnic restaurants, said Gerald Worley, a city inspector.
Employees, from left, Changhai Zhou, Hongjie Guo and Shunji Zhang prepare meat in the kitchen of Peking Restaurant. Every employee is required to obtain a food handler’s card by attending classes and passing a test administered by the Columbia/Boone County Health Department.
Shunji Zhang begins preparing the flour shell of dumplings. No gloves are necessary for this process; they are only required when handling food that is ready to eat.
Junsheng Liu, employee at Peking Restaurant, washes raw chicken in water. According to the food code, handlers are not required to wear gloves unless handling ready-to-eat food.
Columbia College's Mikel Fields, right, is one of three local Columbia players on the team.
Former MU lineman Lorenzo Williams performs a vertical jump drill in front of several NFL scouts Thursday at Daniel J. Devine Pavilion.
"The Fiddler" by Amy Schomaker, a Papier Mache, is in the 15th Annual Women in the Arts Gallery Show at the Craft Studio in Brady Commons.
The 15th Annual Women in the Arts Gallery Show is open until March 28 and is on display in the Craft Studio at Brady Commons.
March 5, 2008
Columbia College senior Logan Park, left, and freshman Maggie Green, center, rehearse a scene from Jean Paul Sartre's "No Exit" while senior Jen Enright waits in the background during a dress rehearal Tuesday night. The play opens Thursday night, Mar. 6, and runs through Saturday in Launer Auditorium at Columbia College.
Columbia College senior Jen Enright tries to stab Columbia College freshman Maggie Green with a letter opener during a dress rehearsal of Jean Paul Sartre's "No Exit" on Tuesday night at Columbia College.
First-year Missouri assistant coach Amy Smith works with a Missouri gymnast on the balance beam during practice Tuesday in the Hearnes Center. Smith is a former national champion and All-American gymnast from UCLA.
An interior view of the library inside the Crestmead Mansion after a fire destroyed much of the house Monday afternoon. Icicles, seen at the top, hung from the ceiling after firefighters doused the fire with water, which then froze because of cold temperatures.
Remnents of a piano sit on the front porch of the Crestmead Mansion on Monday afternoon. "I played sometimes whenever people asked me to," said Ann Betteridge, who has lived in the house for 28 years with her husband, Bob. "But most of the people who liked the music I knew were people my age."
Remnents of a piano sit on the front porch of the Crestmead house after a fire destroyed much of the house Monday afternoon. "I played sometimes whenever people asked me to," said Ann Betteridge, who has lived in the house for 28 years with her husband, Bob. "But most of the people who liked the music I knew were people my age."
The piano at Crestmead Mansion prior to the fire.
The remains of the Crestmead Mansion still stand south of Pilot Grove after a fire destroyed much of the house Monday afternoon. The house was built in 1859 and was on the National Register of Historic Places. The fire burned for 13 hours from Monday afternoon into Tuesday morning, but neither of the house's residents was injured.