advertisement

Articles

COLUMN: Congress has failed in the immigration control issue

The rhetoric surrounding this controversial issue is doing nothing to bridge the divide and solve the problem. Control of the borders and who comes and goes is neither a Democrat or Republican problem, it is a national issue to be solved by the federal government.

TODAY'S QUESTION: Should a deadline be set for Missouri and Nebraska to declare their conference intentions?

According to a report by the Austin American-Statesman, the Big 12 has given MU and Nebraska a Friday deadline to declare their intentions to either stay in the conference or pursue membership in the Big Ten.

LETTER: Pi Beta Phi deserves kudos for generous donations

The women of Pi Beta Phi donated furniture to Love INC to be distributed to families in need.

COLUMN: Granddad knew how to dish out the good advice

We all need someone in our lives to help us make good decisions.

Tigers selected in MLB draft

Junior catcher Brett Nicholas is the highest Tiger taken in the MLB First-Year Player Draft. The Texas Rangers selected Nicholas in the sixth round.

Nicholas leads five Missouri baseball players selected.

Five Missouri Tigers were taken in the Major League Baseball first-year player draft Tuesday.

Junior Catcher Brett Nicholas was the highest Tiger selected, taken in the 6th round by the Texas Rangers. Nicholas led the team in RBI's with 64 and was second in home runs with 12.

 

UPDATE: Employee trapped in bank elevator during small fire safe

An employee of Boone County National Bank is safe after being trapped in a lower level elevator when a small fire broke out in the mechanical room of the building. 

Oakland Junior High science teacher wins presidential award

Marsha Tyson is the first secondary science teacher in Columbia to win the Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching. She was nominated in May 2009 became Missouri's finalist in June 2009. 

'Blind' Boone Ragtime Festival starts Wednesday

The 2010 J.W. "Blind" Boone Ragtime and Early Jazz Festival begins Wednesday morning at the Missouri Theatre Center for the Arts. The combination of free and paid events run until Thursday evening.

Columbia Public Schools amended racial classification system

Columbia Public Schools are collecting data on staff and students using a new racial classification system. School officials say it is unknown how the new system will affect the district as it works to meet federal standards of No Child Left Behind next year.

Power for Boone County residents affected by storm

A lightning strike is the likely cause of the outage that affected 934 customers of the Boone Electric Cooperative.

Kroenke: Rams ownership will stay in the family

Billionare Stan Kroenke, who owns 40 percent of the St. Louis Rams, is trying to buy the remaining 60 percent of the team.

Hit-and-run homicide suspect commits suicide before trial

A woman charged with the hit-and-run homicide of a highway worker committed suicide in her cell Tuesday morning while awaiting trial, according to a Cooper County Sheriff's Office news release.

Smoking ban to go to voters in Jefferson City

Voters in Missouri's capital city will decide in November whether to ban smoking in public areas.

Commissioner candidate apologizes for late taxes

John Sam Williamson owes more than $9,000 in overdue taxes. He said the situation is embarassing and will be corrected, but that he has not broken the law and will continue his campaign.

UPDATE: Columbia Police Department hires crime analyst to monitor trends

The analyst will work with officers to identify crime trends in the hope that police can take a more proactive approach to crime prevention.

Better Business Bureau to open branch in Columbia

The Better Business Bureau of Saint Louis will be opening a branch in Columbia in mid-August. The main purpose is to provide accessibility to the media, and to provide more information for consumers and businesses. It can also serve as a watchdog to monitor advertising and keep students aware of scams.

Columbia Buffalo Wild Wings to move into empty Nowell's building on Nifong

The former Nowell's grocery store building that closed in 2003 will soon be home to Columbia's Buffalo Wild Wings branch.

UPDATE: Columbia man arrested in connection with second-degree assault

Alfredo Rojas-Sion was being held at Boone County Jail on a $50,000 bond as of Monday morning. He was charged with two counts of second-degree assault on suspicion of causing injuries while operating a vehicle while intoxicated.

Downtown Safety Summit presents proposed changes to City Council

The committee recommended implementing security cameras, better lighting and increased panhandling restrictions in a proposal given to the Columbia City Council before its meeting Monday night.

advertisements