advertisement

Articles

Missouri's Thomas earns another Big 12 softball pitching honor

Pitcher Chelsea Thomas, right, high fives third baseman Nicole Hudson after pitching a no-hitter against Oklahoma State at University Field on Friday afternoon. Thomas struck out 12 during her 11th career no-hitter.

Chelsea Thomas, the Missouri softball team's junior ace has been named Big 12 Conference Pitcher of the Week for the fourth time this season.

Columbia School Board updated on plans to reassign teachers

Among other items, the Columbia School Board unanimously approved a 10-cent increase in school lunch prices at its meeting Monday night.

GENE ROBERTSON: Strategy for countering violence in Columbia needs to be well-planned

The crisis must be specifically defined, researched and discussed. Only after there is a serious analysis should a strategic process be started. Meanwhile, much work can be done recruiting and enlisting supporters.

UPDATE: Tiger Spot mosaic removed from Lowry Mall

Few people walking by the spot Monday morning seemed to give much attention to the change. The mosaic had been covered by a tarp since 2007.

UPDATE: Rush Limbaugh recognized in secretive ceremony at Missouri Capitol

Rush Limbaugh, a native of Cape Girardeau in southeast Missouri, addressed a crowd of more than 100 Republicans during a closed-door event in the Missouri House chamber.

Office of Cultural Affairs seeks public input on artwork for Daniel Boone City Building addition

The Office of Cultural Affairs is seeking input on artwork for the fifth floor of the addition to the Daniel Boone City Building. Artist Joel Sager has proposed a series of three architectural paintings for the space.

As Facebook prepares to go public, some MU students deactivate accounts

A 2010 study by the Pew Internet and American Life Project said that 86 percent of undergrads use social networking sites. The MU students who represent the other 14 percent have similar but varying reasons for their abstinence.

GUEST COMMENTARY: Human trafficking has ambiguous presence in western Missouri

It is important to recognize that human trafficking is a problem in Missouri, even if the exact number of victims and cases is unknown or kept quiet.

Man helps older resident escape from Columbia house fire

A house caught on fire on Fifth Street on Monday evening. The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Children in Cambodia a lesson for all

In the May 10 article "Vacation with a cause," a photo of Cambodian schoolchildren sitting peacefully before a meal is a different picture than what we see in America.

Teacher, students would like to see broader Arabic studies at MU

Zaid Mahir, who teaches MU's two classes in Arabic, recently led his students in an all-Arabic performance of skits and a one-act play. He would like it to be seen as a signal that Arabic should be a full program at MU.

FROM READERS: Hickman Lacrosse Club beats Rock Bridge in crosstown rivalry

Sunday's game was the last game of the season for both teams.

Royals' Chen wins second in row

Bruce Chen pitched into the seventh inning in the Kansas City Royals 3-1 victory over the Texas Rangers on Monday night.

Marion W. Sorenson had beloved wife, long teaching career

Marion Sorenson received his doctorate degree at MU, where he was a professor of zoology for several years.

Marion W. Sorenson, Dec. 29, 1926 — Thursday, May 3, 2012, of Columbia

SHOW ME THE RECORDS: Local weather warning systems

The 2012 Local Warning Systems Consolidated Report lists providers of weather warning systems, their websites and user fees, if applicable.

Cardinals suffer fourth straight home loss

Alfonso Soriano singled in the go-ahead run in the eighth inning in the Chicago Cubs' 6-4 victory over the St. Louis Cardinals.

TOP HEADLINES: JPMorgan CEO accepts blame for trading mistake

Among today's top stories, JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon owned up to stock analysts and went on TV to accept blame for a $2 billion trading mistake.

At Kansas City high school, a refuge from world's troubles

Of the 1,031 students finishing the school year at Kansas City's East High School, 582 are immigrant students learning English.

St. Louis Rams' dome plan seeks roof panel that would open

The Rams' plan calls for a complete overhaul of the Edward Jones Dome, including construction of a new roof with a sliding panel that will allow in natural light.

advertisements