advertisement

News

New gym speeds up kickboxing workouts in circuit training

Jason McClary opened a franchise of 9 Round Fitness and Kickboxing in southeast Columbia.

Missouri lawmaker wants referendum on lottery

The lottery had record sales of nearly $1.16 billion during the 2014 budget year that ended June 30. Yet the amount of lottery proceeds transferred to education declined to $267 million this past year from a high of nearly $289 million in 2013.

Missouri lawmakers to start review of water patrol

The review follows the death of a 20-year-old handcuffed man who drowned May 31 in the Lake of the Ozarks.

Round-table discussion in St. Louis to focus on making police forces more diverse

Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster is hosting a round-table discussion at the University of Missouri-St. Louis.

McCaskill plans events focused on campus assaults

Sen. Claire McCaskill's events will be in Cape Girardeau, Columbia, Kansas City, Kirksville, Maryville, Rolla, St. Joseph, St. Louis, Springfield and Warrensburg.

UPDATE: MU student who died Monday remembered at candlelight vigil

Cale Boedeker was described as thoughtful, caring and enthusiastic by those at Tuesday's vigil. Boedeker, 19, appears to have died of natural causes Monday night, according to an investigator with the Boone County Medical Examiner.

Loveless takes helm of development council

Former councilman says experience from City Council, Job Point and volunteer work will help him bring a new perspective to the Central Missouri Development Council.

MISSOURIAN MINUTE: Dawson Shoe Repair a Columbia landmark for nearly 100 years

The cobbler's shop on South Eighth Street has been around since the 1920s, but the Wood family has operated it since 1956.

Nate Irvin wants to ease marijuana laws for Missouri's 4th District

Democratic candidate Nate Irvin said federal law needs to change to match public opinion in Missouri's 4th District. Incumbent Vicky Hartzler disagreed. Libertarian Herschel Young said he would go further.

UPDATE: Road salt supply low in Midwestern states, but Columbia 'in good shape'

Replenishing stockpiles is proving challenging, especially for some Midwestern states, after salt supplies were depleted to tame icy roads last winter. But in Columbia, "we believe we are prepared," a Public Works spokesman said.

After 12 years, Tolton coach almost finished with tiger sculpture

Lonnie Tapia, a soccer coach and art teacher at Tolton High School, is almost finished with a sculpture he began when a red maple tree fell in his yard over a decade ago.

 

Columbia and Boone County shell out nearly $300,000 for Ryan Ferguson lawsuit defense

With six remaining defendants who are either current or former Columbia Police Department employees, the city's bill in the case will rise.

UPDATE: Government confirms first case of Ebola in U.S.

Authorities have begun tracking down family and friends who may have had close contact with the man and who could be at risk of becoming ill.

ACLU suit questions '5-second rule' in Ferguson

On Aug. 18, police began enforcing a rule to keep protesters moving along West Florissant Avenue, or face arrest.

Missouri colleges get $20 million from federal grants

The Missouri funding was included in $450 million of job-training grants announced Monday by the White House and federal education and labor departments.

School spending by affluent is widening wealth gap

For the top 10 percent of Americans, the average education spending per child is just over $5,000, while the remaining 90 percent averages around $1,000.

 

2015 Westminster pack to include 2 new breeds

The small-but-sturdy Coton de Tulear and the hardy wirehaired vizsla are the latest breeds to be added to the nation's premier canine competition.

Political action group drops marketing firm over reporter flap

The PAC backed Republican-led efforts to reduce Missouri's income tax, which led to a law this year prescribing a gradual income tax cut. A marketing firm had contacted writers, including five reporters, asking for articles.

Bidder selected for Missouri Senate renovations

The state Office of Administration says work should begin in mid-to-late October on the project.

California becomes first state to ban plastic bags

In an attempt to reduce pollution in California's streets and waterways, Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill that will ban single-use plastic bags at grocery and convenience stores. The bill is scheduled to take effect in July 2015.

advertisements