The Columbia Fire Department responded to a report of smoke odor in a Columbia residence at 2:51 a.m. Thursday at a duplex on Balboa Lane.

Jason Ian Frazier, 38, was found unconscious and in a bedroom when firefighters arrived. Fire department personnel administered CPR to Frazier, and paramedics later determined he had died, according to a news release. 

Assistant fire marshal Shawn McGruder carried out a fire origin-and-cause investigation and concluded that the fire originated in the kitchen as a result of unattended cooking. Frazier was the only person in the duplex at the time of the fire, according to the news release.

The fire extinguished on its own before firefighters arrived.

Supervising editor is Libby Stanford. 

  • Student news reporter for the Columbia Missourian

Recommended for you

Join the conversation

When posting comments, please follow our community guidelines:
• Login with a social account on WorldTable.
• Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language or engage in personal attacks.
• Stay on topic. Don’t hijack a forum to talk about something else or to post spam.
• Abuse of the community could result in being banned.
• Comments on our website and social media may be published in our newspaper or on our website.