Matthew McMillan was sentenced to 30 years in prison Monday for his involvement in the Jan. 1, 2018, shooting at the Waffle House on Vandiver Drive.

McMillan was sentenced to 30 years each for charges of second-degree murder and first-degree assault. He was sentenced to seven years each for charges of unlawful use of a weapon and armed criminal action. He will serve all four sentences concurrently, according to court documents.

A jury found McMillan guilty Nov. 20 on all four charges, according to the documents.

McMillan was arrested in January 2018 for the Waffle House shooting that resulted in the death of Anthony De’Sean Warren, according to previous Missourian reporting.

Warren was shot and killed in the Waffle House by Robert Moses, a security guard, following an altercation between McMillan and another person, Le’Quan Hord-Bush.

McMillan pulled a handgun on Hord-Bush during an argument, firing two shots. One of these shots hit Hord-Bush in the leg. This led to Moses coming in the restaurant to attempt to detain the two men.

A small crowd of people then surrounded Moses and a woman threw a coffee pot that hit him in the head. He then fired his gun, shooting Warren, who later died at University Hospital.

McMillan was charged with the murder of Warren because the prosecution successfully argued that McMillan’s actions resulted in Warren’s death, although he didn’t fire the shot that killed him, according to previous Missourian reporting.

  • General assignment reporter, Winter 2019. Studying magazine writing.

Recommended for you

Join the conversation

When posting comments, please follow our community guidelines:
• Login with a social account on WorldTable.
• Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language or engage in personal attacks.
• Stay on topic. Don’t hijack a forum to talk about something else or to post spam.
• Abuse of the community could result in being banned.
• Comments on our website and social media may be published in our newspaper or on our website.