COLUMBIA — Three Columbia College students were injured in a small chemistry lab explosion Thursday at the Brouder Science Center.
One student was taken to University Hospital after receiving arm and shoulder burns, Columbia College spokesman Sam Fleury said. The other two students refused transport, he said, and those affected showered immediately.
Around 1:30 p.m., a chemical reaction involving nitric acid went awry, closing the lab indefinitely. Fleury said in a press statement that the incident was contained under a hood, and the students were wearing safety glasses.
The rest of the building remained in use Thursday afternoon.
"Just a small accident," Fleury said.
Fleury said there was no damage to the lab itself but said he was unsure if the lab would be open for class by Thursday evening.
Supervising editor is William Schmitt.