Prosecutors charged a Columbia man with murder two months after he was charged with trying to shoot a deputy when he was stopped for speeding in southwest Missouri.

Jason Roy Anderson, 34, faces charges of first-degree murder and armed criminal action for the June shooting death of Elise’ise Q. McNeal, 34, of Columbia in a home on Hatton Chapel Road that they lived in together. Anderson and McNeal were in an "intimate relationship," according to a probable cause statement filed by Boone County Sheriff's Detective Matt Vessar.

Boone County Sheriff's deputies found McNeal dead from gunshots to the head and torso in the home on the morning of June 15 when they were following up on a report of stolen guns and ammunition. They found spent shell casings next to her body, according to the probable cause statement.

A witness said he last saw McNeal on June 12, and she was alive. The witness had been staying with Anderson and McNeal, and that the two were arguing and fighting. During one argument, he saw Anderson point a black, bolt-action rifle with a scope at McNeal, he told police. The Missouri State Highway Patrol Crime Lab confirmed the shell casings found by McNeal's body were fired from that rifle, according to the probable cause statement.

Vessar wrote in his statement that the fact that more than one shot was fired shows Anderson meant to shoot and kill McNeal.

"He had time to deliberate the matter while working the bolt action of the firearm," Vessar wrote.

On June 14, Christian County deputies found 53 guns and about 5,000 rounds of ammunition in Anderson’s car after he was pulled over for driving 100 mph. The guns had been reported stolen in Boone County, leading investigators to the Hatton Chapel residence where they found McNeal.

Anderson is also facing six felony charges in Christian County for the traffic stop where police say he tried to shoot Deputy Sheriff Lachlan Hicks:

  • First-degree assault.
  • Armed criminal action.
  • Unlawful use of a weapon.
  • Unlawful possession of a firearm.
  • Receiving stolen property.
  • Resisting arrest by fleeing and creating a serious risk of injury or death to another person.

Hicks tried to stop Anderson for speeding in a car with stolen plates. When Anderson stopped, he came out of the car with a loaded, .22-caliber rifle and pointed it at Hicks’ patrol vehicle, according to a probable cause statement filed in Christian County. Hicks fired at Anderson, and Anderson ran down the highway and up an exit ramp before Hicks caught him, tased him and took him into custody, according to the probable cause statement.

Investigators found a shell casing in Anderson’s car and a round jammed in the chamber of the rifle he pointed at Hicks’ car, which kept it from firing, according to the probable cause statement.

Anderson's shoes had blood on the soles that the Highway Patrol found matched McNeal's DNA, Vessar wrote in his statement.

On June 18, after his arrest, Anderson was served an order of protection for adult abuse of a person living at the home on Hatton Chapel Road. The order was served at the Cox Hospital Neuro Trauma Unit, according to online court records. It was issued on May 29.

Anderson is being held in Christian County Jail. He has a $2 million cash-only bond for the Boone County murder charges and no bond for the Christian County charges.

  • Assistant City Editor at the Missourian. You can reach him at

Recommended for you

Join the conversation

When posting comments, please follow our community guidelines:
• Login with a social account on WorldTable.
• Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language or engage in personal attacks.
• Stay on topic. Don’t hijack a forum to talk about something else or to post spam.
• Abuse of the community could result in being banned.
• Comments on our website and social media may be published in our newspaper or on our website.