There are a number of requirements to follow when it comes to gaining Missouri residency. But there’s one thing you should know: It’s going to be fine.

Many people stress out over this, but don’t. It’s not worth it.

As long as you are aware of the requirements and stay organized, you should have no problem.

Remember that gaining Missouri residency will save you more than $15,000 per year in tuition and other university expenses. You can do this.

You need to follow six minimum requirements to gain residency.

Before diving in, do this first: Designate a binder to store all of the documents and records you are required to present to officials in Jesse Hall to gain residency.

This makes everything so much easier when it comes time to apply. Make photocopies of everything.

Okay. Deep breath. Let’s go. Here’s what you need:

1. Proof of presence in Missouri

You must prove that you have been living in the state for 12 consecutive months before the semester you are applying for residency. These 12 months are referred to as qualifying periods.

Here are the qualifying periods for each semester:

  • Fall Semester: August to August
  • Spring Semester: January to January
  • Summer Semester: June to June

During these qualifying periods, you must pay nonresident fees. You can only leave the state for 14 days during the summer, including travel days. You must document your presence in the state. On the bright side, you can leave the state with no penalty during academic breaks such as Thanksgiving, winter and spring.

Bank records from summer months

Make sure you set up a checking account. You are required to show bank statements from the summer months, and the more transactions on your debit card, the better proof you have of presence in the state. Commit to two or three transactions per week. Receipts and credit card statements will not be accepted as proof of presence.


Leasing information does not need to be provided during the academic year as long as you are registered as a full-time MU student.

However, during the summer you must provide a lease or sublease with your name on it. If you don’t have an official lease you must provide a notarized letter stating the following:

  • The address where you lived.
  • Dates you lived there.
  • Terms of the agreement.

In addition to these requirements, if you lived with a friend or relative, you also need to provide a copy of their driver’s license and a utility bill showing that your addresses match.

2. Proof of earning at least $2,000 of taxable income in Missouri during the 12-month qualifying period

Earning $2,000 of gross taxable income within a year sounds pretty easy. It is.

Just make sure to remember the rules you are required to follow:

You must document all of your pay stubs and work schedules from May through August, and even if you have already earned your $2,000, you are still required to continue working during the summer.

Here are the dates by which you will need to have earned your $2,000:

  • If you are applying for residence in the spring semester: Feb. 15.
  • If you are applying for residence in the summer semester: June 15.
  • If you are applying for residence in the fall semester: Sept. 15.

3. Copy of a permanent Missouri driver’s license

Make sure to apply for your license early enough that you can receive your permanent copy before the residency deadline.

4. Missouri voter registration verification

Go online to the Boone County Clerk’s office to register.

5. Copy of Page 1 and 2 of the previous year’s federal 1040 income tax form

You cannot be claimed as a dependent on your parents’ federal 1040 income tax form during the year in which you are completing your qualifying period.

6. Copy of Missouri auto registration

This only applies if you are the sole owner of your car.

Then submit the required documents in a large envelope in room 125 in Jesse Hall. On the envelope, write your name and student number. MyZou will update you on the status of your petition.

There is a non-refundable $250 processing fee that will be charged to your student account upon submitting your application.

For more information, visit You can also call the residency department at 573-882-7881 or email

  • Fall 2018 outreach reporter. I am a graduate student studying magazine editing.

Recommended for you

Join the conversation

When posting comments, please follow our community guidelines:
• Login with a social account on WorldTable.
• Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language or engage in personal attacks.
• Stay on topic. Don’t hijack a forum to talk about something else or to post spam.
• Abuse of the community could result in being banned.
• Comments on our website and social media may be published in our newspaper or on our website.