Homecoming is a bit like a wedding with an arranged marriage.
It’s a grand tradition that includes numerous festivities and formalities culminating in an elaborate ceremony. But the players in the matchup haven’t met very often before — the last time was 1963.
Welcoming a new team to the MU family might seem challenging at first, but by the time kickoff occurs, the two schools and fans will be more familiar.
Before walking into the stadium, make sure you’re well versed about the history of University of Idaho.
University of Idaho
Main campus: Moscow, Idaho
Conference: Sun Belt Conference with 12 member teams
Mascot: Joe Vandal
- Was the only university in Idaho until 1963 (also the year MU last played Idaho), when Idaho State University emerged.
- According to the Carnegie Foundation, one of the top five higher research universities in the Pacific Northwest, spending $100 million each year.
- Idaho’s football team plays in the ASUI-Kibbie Activity Center or “Kibbie Dome,” which also holds other athletic programs such as basketball and indoor track & field.
- The university enlists Tradition Keepers within the student body, who by participating in 15 school traditions can earn a silver pin or medallion for 35 tradition points. These traditions include attending Idaho’s homecoming and visiting the campus Administration Building.
- Idaho’s 2017 Homecoming was held Oct. 7 when the team played Louisiana-Lafayette.
- Notable alumni: Former governor of Alaska and vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin; “Deep Throat” FBI informant essential to Watergate story William Mark Felt