Missouri does not have enough affordable, licensed child care facilities available for Missourians to have access to quality child care. This situation is known as a child care desert. Casey Hanson, a Columbia resident of 14 years, has dealt with this issue. She has moved her son 18-month old son Cormac to multiple unlicensed in-home facilities because the licensed facilities in Columbia don't have space for him.
Casey Hanson embraces her son Cormac
Cormac Hanson listens to his mother, Casey Hanson, read a book
Assorted child transportation vehicles sit inside of a pebble-filled play area
Little Tikes toy cars sit outside of an outdoor play area
The privately-owned child care facility in the home of Ines Hernandez is emptied
Jacob Moscovitch is a second year student at the Missouri School of Journalism with a focus on photojournalism.
As featured on
It's not just Missourians who are unable to access affordable licensed child care. Fifty-one percent of Americans live in areas considered child care deserts.
Director of Photography
- Abby Hay: In a league of her own
- 'You could never bring him down': Darwin Hindman, Columbia's longest-serving mayor, dies
- Last winter, a train killed a child in Missouri. The railroad calls her a trespasser
- A repeal of Missouri's motorcycle helmet law is on the governor's desk. What does that mean for motorcyclists?
- Residents fight to 'Save Historic Broadway'
- Lovers of Laura Ingalls Wilder books can visit her homes near Mansfield
- Columbia man dies in duplex fire
- Kevon Billingsley commits to Missouri football's 2020 class
- Missouri offers Tolton lineman Mills
- Clean up at Cooper's Landing postponed
- PHOTO GALLERY: "We call ourselves the Bam-ily"
- PHOTO GALLERY: Dads spend Father's Day outside with family
- PHOTO GALLERY: Skaters carve out time for Shred Fest
- PHOTO GALLERY: Blues fans celebrate first Stanley Cup championship
- PHOTO GALLERY: State Historical Society begins move to new facility
- PHOTO GALLERY: Rock, Paper, Scissors, Beer! Fundraiser hosted with game tournament
- PHOTO GALLERY: Blues fans bathe in the glory of first Stanley Cup victory
- PHOTO GALLERY: Summer campers turn drizzly Monday morning into dodgeball extravaganza